Although it’s hard to imagine, it will be getting warmer in the next few weeks. And with this comes the potential for flooding due to snow and ice melting. The IBHS (Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety) urges homeowners that have experienced large amounts of snowfall and below freezing temperatures to evaluate their flood risks when warm weather arrives.
Next week, Indianapolis is looking at high temperatures in the 40’s with rainfall. Both the rain, and the rapid increase in temperature can make snow and ice melt at a faster rate than normal. Because of this you need to make sure you are prepared. A sump pump can help push melting waters away from your home, IF working correctly.
Some things to do to get ready for the warmer weather;
- TEST YOUR SUMP PUMP- Pour water into the pit and trigger the pump to operate
- FULLY CLEAN THE PUMP- Make sure you disconnect the pump from the power source before you clean it
- CHECK THE PIT to make sure it’s free of debris. Most pumps have a screen that covers the intake. Keep this screen clean.
- INSTALL A BACK-UP POWER SOURCE- buying a sump pump back up power supply is a good idea to avoid overflow. Its better to invest in a back up than to face the cost of a flooded basement.
Average life span for a sump pump can vary. If you find that the above tips haven’t worked then it may be time for a new one. At Carter’s we highly recommend theSTORMPRO® Deluxe Dual Pump Flood Control System.sump pump. If you need help with the sump pump installation in Indianapolis give us a call.
- The StormPro back-up system utilizes two reliable heavy-duty 1/3 HP 115V AC sump pumps, unlike most systems that rely on one small plastic bilge-type DC pump.
- PumpGuard Plus alternator will cycle each pump as needed; if one pump fails the other pump will take over and sound an alarm. The PumpGuard Plus has a built-in high water alarm and is capable of connecting to your home security system or dialer.
- Fully automatic, converts 12V battery power into standard 120V electricity to run the 1/3 HP StormPro sump pump when the power is out. Runs off of standard 115V electricity when the power is on, avoiding unnecessary battery drain down.
- The 1/3 HP 115V StormPro sump pump supplies with the system is extremely efficient, only drawing 4.5 amps providing a long run time while pumping more water than most 1/2 HP pumps.
- Capable of using deep cycle maintenance free ADM batteries that perform better and last twice as long as the standard type.
- Two indicator lights tell you the status of the system at all times.
- Protective non-corrosive electronics enclosure and battery case.
If all of this overwhelms you, feel free to contact your Indianapolis plumbers and we will be more than happy to help you out! 🙂