Is your garbage disposal not working? Do not worry because Carters’ My Plumber is here to help with you with all your plumbing needs. Garbage disposals are a very handy tool for meal clean-up. But, if taken for granted a little bit. You can jam your garbage disposal into a sticky situation. So, with that being said, here are some reasons why your garbage disposal is not working.
Reasons Why My Garbage Disposal is Not Working
There are a couple of possibilities of why your garbage disposal is not working. So, let’s start here: Is it even turning on? (can you hear it?) Or is it maybe a jam?
Garbage Disposal With an Electrical Problem.
- Make sure the garbage disposal is PLUGGGED IN!
- There is a circuit reset button located on the disposal on the bottom of the disposal. Push that and check your house circuit breaker.
- If neither of those seem to be the problem, check and see if the wires behind the switch seem to be in tacked.
- And if neither of those are the problem, it could be your switch, or your garbage disposal needs to be replaced.
Your Disposal is Humming.
- If your garbage disposal is humming and does not seem it is chopping it could be that it is jammed.
- The best way to find this out is by unplugging your disposal, get a flashlight, and then look and feel around in your drain.
- If there is a jam then you need to get the hex wrench that came with your disposal (allen wrench) and insert it at the bottom of the disposal. Turn the wrench clockwise and feel if you free the flywheel/gears.
- If that fixed it then plug your disposal back in and turn it on while running some water through it.
How to Take Care of Your Garbage Disposal.
- One very important thing NOT TO DO is put overbearing foods in the disposals. Foods like bones, celery, and coffee grounds. Look at a full list here.
- Also important is to not overfill the drain.
- Is your garbage disposal leaking?
Call a Licensed Plumber
Are you having trouble with your garbage disposal? Carter’s My Plumber can help repair or replace it because we are committed to meeting the needs of our customers. Carter’s My Plumber is knowledgeable, friendly, and will always give you a price before any work begins. Do not hesitate to give us a call today @ 317-859-9999 or email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org we will be happy to send a licensed professional. We are here for you and hope you will entrust us with your garbage disposal needs.