Get Rid of Clogged Drains
We have all taken that shower and noticed water filling up below us. If you have many girls living in your home it could possibly be all that hair clogging your drains. Dad, the Prince of Plumbing would like to give you a few simple tips and tricks you can use at home to save you time, your drains, and money.
What NOT to Do
Avoid using harsh chemicals when trying to remove hair and unwanted gunk in your drains. These harsh chemicals can deteriorate your pipes and drains. This is most common in older homes. It is safest to use the tips provided below or to call a professional.
Prince of Plumbing: Step By Step How To Get Hair Out Of Drains
Before dismantling the entire drain unit, try a Zip-It!! Most clogs both in a sink or shower occur at the stopper mechanism. The Zip-It is a long thin piece of flexible and durable plastic with barbs on either side. Think about how a shark’s teeth are set up pointing backward so their prey cannot escape. Essentially, the Zip-It is constructed so hair and gunk cannot slip by. The Zip-It is long enough to reach past the stopper and into the trap. Follow these steps below to get the hair out of drains.
- Purchase a Zip-it from your local home improvement store or here!
- Stick the Zip-It down the drain moving it around to capture as much hair and gunk as possible
- Pull it out and if need be repeat the process until all hair is removed
As soon as you notice water slowing or you are standing in that puddle of water, Zip-It! Using this tool routinely will keep major clogs from forming.
Dad’s Homemade Tool
For all you Dad’s that like to be creative and are a do-it-yourselfer, grab a few zip-ties! Follow the steps below to learn how to make your own Zip-It:
- Grab some zip-ties and a wire cutter. (If you happen to have an extra long zip-tie that will work best.)
- Take a few short zip-ties and link them together to make a longer one that can reach further down in the drain.
- Take your wire cutter and make diagonal slots in the sides of the zip-ties. Cut only halfway through the width and angle the cuts down towards the bottom. This will maximize the effectiveness of this tool. (Similar to the shark teeth)
- Grab the tips of the slits and bend them to create barbs.
- Gently feed the zip-ties down and into the drain. Feed this all the way down into the drain pipe and move in circular motions as well as up and down.
- Pull out the entire tool along with all nasty hair that we were trying to get unclogged!
The Plunger Method
You can always go with the plunger method if the Zip-It just doesn’t cut it. The Prince of Plumbing gave us
The concept behind the plunger method is to force it down the drain. Therefore, the Zip-It pulls the clog up and out, but the plunger will push it down and out. If your goal is just to get
Carter’s My Plumber
Carter’s My Plumber, and the Prince of Plumbing, want you to be informed on simple ways to solve your plumbing problems! Next time hair is clogging your drain we hope you can use a few of these simple tips and tricks! If the clog just won’t budge, give us a call at 317-859-9999 or visit Indianapolis plumbers page to learn more.
Happy Zipping from the Prince of Plumbing 😊