You get up in the morning, stretch your muscles, and walk into your bathroom to brush your teeth. Once you put on the toothpaste and turn on your sink to add some water and…your water is YELLOW! You are brushing your teeth with water that is the exact color you are trying to get rid of on your teeth. Your water is discolored, and you need to figure out what is going on.
Not to worry too much though. There are a couple other colors that your water can be that can mean a couple different things. Let’s take a look.
Discolored Water Types
Milky or Cloudy
Do not be alarmed, this type of discoloration does not have any health risk. This color is caused by air bubble and is more frequent when it is cold outside, because cold water holds more air. And when that cold water enters your house, the pressure changes and causes air bubbles.
- Yellow water is common when cities do flushes or repairs. The main lines that lead to your home may have gotten some rust/minerals knocked off. If you think this maybe the problem, go ahead and call your source of water and buy bottled water until your water returns to normal.
- IF the water is only yellow while running hot water than it could be that your hot water heater has sediment inside. The solution is just a flush if the build-up is not too bad.
- Usually in most cases, this color is also not harmful. Especially if you figure it to be minerals causing the discoloration. But, it is safe to hold off for a while and call a licensed plumber to diagnose the problem.
If you think you water smells very foul in any way like chemicals or waste. Call a city official and see if your surrounding neighbors are experiencing this too!
- If you have water that is green. There are two possible causes:
- Algae Build-up: Algae is natural and can happen when a filter gets blocked. Though algae is not harmful, you should get the problem fixed soon.
- Cooper Pipes: Over time copper pipes can wear down and the water can turn them green. This is not instantly harmful to humans but can be over time! Call a plumber to come check and replace if it is green!
CALL A LICENSED PLUMBER
Are you having discolored water haunt your home or business? Carter’s My Plumber can help repair or replace it because we are committed to meeting the needs of our customers. Carter’s My Plumber is knowledgeable, friendly, and will always give you a price before any work begins. Do not hesitate to give us a call today @ 317-859-9999 or email us @ email@example.com we will be happy to send a licensed professional. We are here for you and hope you will entrust us with your all your plumbing needs (and discolored water).